Saturday, January 30, 2016

I gave an assembly to 5th graders about writing science-fiction

On January 29, I gave an assembly to 76 fifth graders at a school in Pittsburgh about writing science-fiction! I was excited to share what I've learned from writing over the past 12 years, and hopefully inspired them to pursue science in their own futures!

Here's the slideshow I presented. In real-time, it was about 40 minutes, with time for questions at the end.





It went really well! Lots of great questions, and the kids were very excited about seeing things like the rocket landings and knowing that their generation will be among the first on Mars.

They asked lots of questions about what I write about and why I write about those things, and I think the question that stuck out the most was, "What is your favorite thing you get to do as an author?" I said, "To teach and inspire other people to learn more about science."


That's what these books have become to me: an outlet to show people how exciting science and space can be and help us pave the way for future generations.

I hope I get this opportunity again! It was such a rewarding experience :D



No comments:

Post a Comment